Biomedical spectroscopy applications can be some of the most demanding in terms of technical specifications, but Avantes has a proven track record of success with such applications in laboratory and clinical environments. Over the past 25 years, we have provided instrumentation for non-invasive and invasive spectroscopy analysis for a variety of life science customers.
Avantes spectrometers are used to measure blood gas parameters such as hemoglobin, carboxyhemoglobin, bilirubin, and others for co-oximetry, where Avantes OEM spectrometers (AvaSpec-ULS2048L-USB2 and AvaSpec-ULS2048CL-EVO) are integrated into clinical analyzers. Pulse oximetry is another technique where Avantes instruments have been successfully implemented. Avantes AvaSpec-HS2048XL-EVO is being used to perform high-speed fluorescence measurements during needle biopsies as well as for diffuse reflection measurements to support endoscopy and deep tissue mass detection.
Some examples of Avantes (Bio)Medical implementations:
- Angiology / Pharmacology – Monitoring oxygen saturation after the application of vaso-active pharmaceuticals. This study detected changes in oxygen changes caused by Reynaud syndrome and microcirculation diseases in tissue.
- Dermatology/Tissue transplants – Detection of blood perfusion in grafted tissues; Identification of melanoma and other dermal abnormalities using non-invasive reflection
- Endocrinology – Detection of Microangiopathy; Early detection of Endothelial dysfunction and ulceration.
- Cardiac surgery – Clinical devices integrating Avantes instrument to monitor oxygen consumption of the heart during and after bypass operations.
- Neurosurgery / Oncology – Quantification of brain tumor oxygen consumption before/after radiation or operations. Measurement of radiation therapy efficacy on breast mass reduction.
- Pediatric medicine – Clinical devices integrating Avantes low stray light spectrometers to monitor blood parameters critically ill newborns.
- Plastic surgery / Transplantation medicine – Monitoring vascularization of transplanted tissues and organs
- Otorhinolaryngology – Endoscopic characterization of throat tissues for abnormalities and cancer detection
- Trauma surgery – Non-invasive characterization of burned or frozen tissues.
- European project: Cancer detection using miniature spectrometers and smart biopsy needles
- Avantes OEM Instruments for Biomedical Applications
- Biomedical customers benefit from Avantes commitment to quality as evidenced by our ISO 2001:2016 certification and a three-year warranty. All Avantes instruments undergo 8-hour thermal testing to ensure stability and robustness and the company maintains 100% traceability on all subcomponent parts.